Saturday, November 13, 2010

Otto and Spike

A while back now I emailed Otto and Spike to get a booklet off them that was only available to retailers.  I got a very prompt reply and an invitation to go to their factory in Brunswick East.  Ella and I went along yesterday! 

It was incredible to be weaving through the various knitting machines they had, many of them running and knitting piles of scarves, collars, blankets and beanies.  There were some new machines, and others were very old.  I asked if any of the older machines had punchcards, and Alasdair (who was showing us around) pointed out some steel punch-cards connected to each other with a chain processing through the machine.  Its a terrible description there, I know.... I wanted to take photos, but at the same time I felt like it would have been rude to pull out a camera.
It was mentioned that some of the  very old, out of use machines were simply there as collectors items and were going to be featured on the ABC program 'Collectors'.  I'll definately post a link to the video on this blog once it airs.


Otto and Spike have a lot of sustainable practices in their business, which I think is really important.  Alasdair made a really good point that designers should be able to make use with the resources we already have, rather than creating a need for more resource production; this is something that is visibly practiced in their business.
The following are some pictures of Otto and Spike products:


A very inspirational day!  Been a bit of  springboard for a developing project.  Once it has become more of a reality I will be able to talk about it!  Oh the mystery.



1 comment:

ella. said...

ah did you recognize the first model?
hue the bike guy ;)